MCC International RepresentativeBruce McCreamicamporee@gmail.com517-372-9383
General InformationBruce McCreamicamporee@gmail.com517-372-9383
GLFSC International RepresentativeDennis Waitzman
PFFSC International RepresentativeBen Halanskipffscir@gmail.com616-902-1491
SSFSC International RepresentativeChuck Thibodeaucthib@live.com734-239-3921
WWFSC International RepresentativeKate Farris
Venturing RepresentativeMatthew Bursleympbursley@gmail.com517-802-1715
Michigan International Camporee ChairAdam Dutkiewiczkyrx05@hotmail.com989-225-2332
Staff AdvisorGary Gilgergary.gilger@scouting.org715-563-6853


The Michigan International Camporee (MIC), which the Michigan Crossroads Council inherited from the Chief Okemos legacy council, is the largest council-run multinational camp in North America. Once every four years, Scouts, leaders, and staff members from 20 or more countries come to Michigan for a miniature World Jamboree.

The next Michigan International Camporee will be held in 2022, at Rota-Kiwan Scout Reservation, 6278 Texas Drive, Kalamazoo, Michigan 49009.

To learn how your troop or crew can participate or you can become a volunteer staff member, go to the Michigan International Camporee web site at


Jamboree on the Air (JOTA)

Jamboree-on-the-Air, or JOTA, is the largest Scouting event in the world. It is held annually the third full weekend in October. JOTA uses amateur radio to link Scouts and hams around the world, around the nation, and in your own community. This jamboree requires no travel, other than to a nearby amateur radio operator’s ham shack. Many times you can find the hams will come to you by setting up a station at your Scout camporee, at the park down the block, or perhaps at a ham shack already set up at your council’s camp. [READ MORE]

Jamboree on the Internet (JOTI)

Jamboree-on-the-Internet, or JOTI, is an annual international Scouting event sponsored by the World Organization of the Scout Movement. Each year, during the third weekend in October, Scouts from around the world gather online to learn about other cultures and the activities in which other Scouts participate. They communicate with each other using Internet-enabled devices such as computers, laptops, tablets, and mobile phones. Last year, JOTA-JOTI had over 1.5 million Scouts and leaders participate in more than 160 countries! [READ MORE]

2019 World Scout Jamboree at the Summit Bechtel Reserve

The World Scout Jamboree is held once every four years. Youth participants are 14 but not yet 18 years old. The next World Scout Jamboree will be held in the United States in 2019. Click here to find out more information.

For 2019 World Scout Jamboree Day Visitor Pass [CLICK HERE]

 International Spirit Award

International Department Boy Scouts of America has recently introduced the new BSA International Spirit Award. To see the requirements for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, Venturers, and adults and how to order the patches.  Click here for more details

Travel to Canada and Interact with Canadian Scouts

Michigan Crossroads Council units have the opportunity to do International Scouting on a weekend trip, traveling to Canada and interacting with Canadian Scouts.  There are a number of International Camporees in Canada that Michigan units can participate in as well as Scouts Canada camps where you are very likely to encounter Canadian Scouts. [READ MORE]

Travel Overseas with Scouts

Every summer, countries around the world hold National Jamborees and there are International Jamborees in England and Scotland. They all welcome international participants, especially contingents from the USA. The cost of taking a contingent of Boy Scouts and/or Venturers to another country can be surprisingly low.


The jamboree fee for a jamboree in another country is low enough that, even adding airfare, the total cost per person of an overseas trip is similar to the cost of participating in the BSA National Jamboree or a Philmont trip.  You can often arrange to pair with a Scout group from the host country that is participating in the jamboree, share a campsite with them, and borrow group equipment such as tents from them.  Many of these jamborees have age ranges for youth participants similar to BSA National Jamborees and are a week to a week and a half long, which allows you to include time on your trip sightseeing or being hosted by local Scouts. The winter of 2019 is a good time to start thinking about a 2020 trip.  Below is a list of 2020 jamborees in Austria, Belgium, and England (4), and 2021 jamborees in England (2) and Sweden that are open to contingents from individual BSA troops and crews with links to the jamboree web sites..  More 2020 and 2021 jamborees will be announced soon.  The Michigan Crossroads Council International Scouting Committee would be glad to help you in your planning.  Link here for the Michigan Crossroads CouncilSUGGESTIONS FOR TRAVELING OVERSEAS WITH SCOUTS AND VENTURERS. 

To learn about being part of a National BSA contingent to a jamboree in another country, go to and read the section Upcoming International and Regional Events With BSA Contingents.”  These BSA contingents are open to Scouts and Venturers who will be 15 to 17 years old at the time of the jamboree.


AUSTRIA – FLOW – Vienna International Jamborette
August 3 to 12, 2020 –
There are subcamps for 5 age ranges including 13 to 16 and 17 to 20 –

BELGIUM – Jamborette 2020
July 18 to 28, 2020 – Ninove, Belgium
Ages 14 to 18
The higher your cost to travel to Belgium, the lower the jamboree fee.

CANADA – Atlantic Jamboree
Camp Nedooae, Elderbank, Nova Scotia
Website – Coming Soon

ENGLAND – Brumjamb
August 1 to 8, 2020
Blackwell Court, Birmingham
Ages 10 ½ to 17

ENGLAND – Durham 2020
August 1 t0 8, 2020
Wolsingham Show Ground in the Wear valley
Ages 10 to 18

ENGLAND – Essex International Jamboree
August 1 to 8, 2020
Boyton Cross, Chyelmsford
Ages 10 through 17

ENGLAND – Wings 2020
July 25 to August 1, 2020
Windsor Great Park, Berkshire
Ages 10 through 17

SCOTLAND – Blair Atholl Jamborette
July 21 to 31, 2020
Blair Castle, Blair Atholl, Perthshire, Scotland
Ages 14-17
Website – Additional Information click here


ENGLAND – Kent International Jamboree 2021
July 31 to August 7, 2021

ENGLAND – Poacher 2021
July 31 to August 7, 2021
Lincolnshire Showground, Lincoln
Ages 10-17

SWEDEN – Swedish National Jamboree
Summer of 2021
The year has been announced but there are not yet any further details.



For the latest U.S. State Department information on travel to Canada, click here. It is important that leaders of BSA groups traveling to Canada read this information.

Two specific questions that arise when taking BSA packs, troops, and crews to Canada are:

1. What are the border crossing procedures when taking BSA groups into Canada and returning to the U.S.?
2. What actions should be taken to make sure Scouts and leaders are covered by health insurance while in Canada?

Those questions are addressed below.


ADULT LEADERS – Anyone over 18 who is a U.S. citizen returning home from Canada by land or sea is required to present either a U.S. Passport, a U.S. Passport Card, or an Enhanced Driver’s License.
U.S. Passport – This is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies a person’s identity and nationality. It is accepted for travel by air, land and sea.

U.S. Passport Card
– This is a new, limited-use travel document that fits in your wallet and costs less than a U.S. Passport. It is only valid for travel by land and sea.

Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)
– Several states and Canadian provinces/territories are issuing this driver’s license or identification document that denotes identity and citizenship. It is specifically designed for cross-border travel into the U.S. by land or sea.

CUBS, SCOUTS, AND VENTURERS UNDER 19: U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 19 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory and traveling with a school group, religious group, social or cultural organization, or sports team, may also present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card. (It has been confirmed that a Scout group qualifies as a “social or cultural organization.”)

The group should be prepared to present a letter on organizational letterhead with the following information:

  • The name of the group and supervising adult;
  • A list of the children on the trip, and the primary address, phone number, date of birth, place of birth, and name of at least one parent or legal guardian for each child; and
  • A written and signed statement of the supervising adult certifying that he or she has obtained parental or legal guardian consent for each participating child.
  • Cubs, Scouts, and Venturers who are under 18 need a YOUTH PERMISSION FORM (See below.). If your group is traveling in several vehicles, the paperwork for each person must be in the vehicle that person is riding in. Make sure that your Scouts are in uniform when they cross the border and polite during the border crossing.
  • A child of divorced or separated parents who is traveling without either parent could use either one consent document signed by both parents or two separate documents.
  • If a legal guardian is accompanying the child, then a copy of the court order granting guardianship might also be requested.
    If only one parent’s name appears on the birth certificate, and the child is traveling with the other parent, then we also recommend that a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate be carried.
  • If one parent has died, a certified copy of the death certificate could also be carried.

YOUTH PERMISSION FORM– The Canadian Government recommends on their web site:

  • That a consent document or letter be carried to prove that the child has the permission of the absent lawful parent(s) or guardian to travel. This document should be specific to each trip and should include contact information for the parent(s) or guardian. A sample consent letter is provided for parents to use as a model to draft their own consent letter.
  • It is strongly recommended that children carry a consent letter for each and every trip abroad. Although anyone can witness/sign these letters, it is advisable to have the consent letter certified, stamped or sealed by an official who has the authority to administer an oath or solemn declaration (ie. a commissioner for oaths, notary public, lawyer, etc.) so that the validity of the letter will not be questioned. It is up to each official/individual who witnesses such a letter to decide what proof he/she needs to see to be able to witness/sign the letter. Officials should only witness/sign a letter of consent if he/she is convinced that the individual requesting the letter is who he/she claims to be and that adequate proof has been provided.
  • This consent document could be required even if the separation or divorce documents award custody of the child to the accompanying parent, but the non-custodial parent has legal access or visiting rights to the child.
  • In addition to the certified consent document from the absent parent, a copy of any separation, divorce or custody decree might be requested.

Remember that customs officers, as well as other authorities, inside and outside Canada are looking for missing children and may ask questions. Make sure you carry the proper identification for yourself and any children traveling with you. In addition to passports, proper identification could include, but is not limited to, birth certificates, citizenship cards, landed immigrant records and certificates of Indian status.


It is important to make sure that every Scout and leader is covered by health insurance while you are in Canada and that your trip leaders have the information on how to use that insurance. The US State Department’s web page on “Medical Information for Americans Traveling Abroad” states, “Before going abroad, learn what medical services your health insurance will cover overseas. If your health insurance policy provides coverage outside the United States, REMEMBER to carry both your insurance policy identity card as proof of such insurance and a claim form. Although many health insurance companies will pay “customary and reasonable” hospital costs abroad, very few will pay for your medical evacuation back to the United States. Medical evacuation can easily cost $10,000 and up, depending on your location and medical condition.” Parents of youth participants on your trip to Canada should be made aware of this information. For a U.S. State Department list of companies that offer health insurance and medical evacuation insurance for travel to other countries, click here, then scroll down and click on the FAQs “Where can I find a list of companies that provide travel insurance?” and “Where can I find a list of companies that provide medical evacuations and services?”

For our overseas trips, in addition to having a completed BSA Health and Medical Record Form, Parts A, B, and C, for each participant in the trip, with the emergency treatment authorization section filled in and signed. we ask each Scout who is covered by his parents’health insurance  family plan to give us a photocopy of his parents’ insurance card and to carry another photocopy of that card with him.  For those insured by Blue Cross Blue Shield plans, the web page at has a list of procedures to use to make claims overseas, a link to a list of participating providers, and a link to printable International Claim Forms.  We print and carry with us their recommended procedures, the list of participating providers in countries we will be visiting, and several claim forms.  We ask each Scout and adult in a non-Blue Cross Blue Shield plan to provide us with similar information and forms.

All Michigan Crossroads Council units are covered by BSA’s Council Accident and Sickness Plan which is administered by Health Special Rick, Inc.  (Exception – The LDS Church provides insurance for LDS-sponsored units, so they are not covered by this policy.)  This is secondary insurances which only covers costs that are not covered by other insurance.  It provides coverage for “injuries occurring anywhere in the world” while on a BSA trip.

If you will be participating in a jamboree or national camp, make sure that you understand the arrangements for treatment of illness and injury at the camp and the insurance coverage there.


International Pen Pal Program

Scouts Australia offers an international pen-pals program. “The traditional concept of writing a letter has now given way to members all over the world from Hong Kong to Peru to UK to Zimbabwe requesting links with Australian Scouts online! As well as exchanging emails, international pen-pals can now talk to each other on Skype, share photos and videos using any number of online social networking tools (including Group websites, Facebook, Flickr and YouTube), and link up with each other during JOTA-JOTI the world’s largest international Scouting event! There’s still room for snail mail too… badge swaps, anyone?”


International Scouter’s Award

The International Scouter’s Award encourages Scouters to broaden their involvement in Scouting through participation in world Scouting activities and recognizes Scouters for their contributions to world Scouting.


Applicants must be currently registered adult Scouters of the Boy Scouts of America.

All applicants must receive the approval of their local council’s international committee chairperson or international representative and their council Scout executive.

Complete any six of the following, from at least three of the following categories:

  1. Giving leadership to international Scouting:
    1. Serve as a council international representative for a minimum of two consecutive years.
    2. Serve as a council international committee member or as a member of the BSA’s International Committee for a minimum of three consecutive years.
    3. Serve as a registered adult leader with a Direct Service, Far East Council, or Transatlantic Council Cub Scout pack, Boy Scout troop, or Venturing crew.
  2. Giving leadership to international events held in the United States:
    1. Host Scouts/Scouters (minimum of three visitors per group) from another country at a local Council camp as part of an official national, council, district, or unit activity.
      *Please note that hosting in private homes is not considered an official Scouting activity.
    2. Serve on the international staff at a national Scout jamboree.
    3. Assist in the International Camp Staff program. Be responsible for bringing a foreign Scout on staff to the council’s summer camp program for two summer camp seasons.
  3. Giving leadership to international events held in other countries:
    1. Serve as an adult leader in a BSA contingent to a world Scout jamboree or Pan-American Scout jamboree.
    2. Serve as an adult leader for a group of BSA Scouts participating in an event held by a foreign Scout association recognized by the World Organization of the Scout Movement. The activity may be an exchange program, camp experience, a tour activity, or a home hospitality function.
    3. Serve on the international service staff of a world Scout jamboree.
  4. Educating self and others:
    1. Attend an international Scout conference hosted by the International Department. Share what you have learned with others in your council.
    2. Promote international Scouting at a district, council, region, or national event.
    3. Participate in organizing or providing leadership for a BSA Scout activity in another country that involves interaction with Scouts from that country, such as an exchange program, camping experience, or tour activity.
  5. Giving support to international Scouting:
    1. Organize a collection for the World Friendship Fund at two district and/or council events.
    2. Become or recruit a member of the Order of the Condor for the Interamerican Scout Foundation.
    3. Become or recruit a Baden-Powell Fellow for the World Scout Foundation.
Download Application
Print Friendly, PDF & Email