The Michigan Crossroads Council International Scouting Committee works to create opportunities for Scouts and Scouters in Michigan to become involved in International Scouting.
You can find information below on:
- Earning the new BSA International Spirit Award
- Participating in Jamboree on the Air (JOTA) or Jamboree on the Internet (JOTI)
- Traveling to Canada and Interacting with Canadian Scouts
- Traveling Overseas with Scouts
- Michigan International Camporee
- 2019 World Scout Jamboree at the Summit
- Other International Scouting Opportunities
Michigan International Camporee
The Michigan International Camporee (MIC), which the Michigan Crossroads Council inherited from the Chief Okemos legacy council, is the largest council-run multinational camp in North America. Once every four years, Scouts, leaders, and staff members from 20 or more countries come to Michigan for a miniature World Jamboree.
The 2016 Michigan International Camporee was held at Northwoods Scout Reservation from July 24 to 31, 2016, with home stays for international contingents with the families of Michigan host troops and crews the week before.
Upcoming International Scouting Opportunities
New BSA International Spirit Award
International Department Boy Scouts of America has recently introduced the new BSA International Spirit Award. To see the requirements for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, Venturers, and adults and how to order the patches, click here.
Jamboree on the Air (JOTA) or Jamboree on the Internet (JOTI)
These events are always held on the 3rd full weekend in October. Michigan Crossroads Council units should start planning now for October 21 and 22, 2017. For BSA information on JOTA, click here. For BSA information on JOTI, click here.
For World Scouting information on both JOTA and JOTI, click here.
Travel to Canada and Interact with Canadian Scouts
Michigan Crossroads Council units have the opportunity to do International Scouting on a weekend
trip, traveling to Canada and interacting with Canadian Scouts. There are a number of International Camporees in Canada that Michigan units can participate in as well as Scouts Canada camps where you are very likely to encounter Canadian Scouts.
Travel Overseas with Scouts
Every summer, countries around the world hold National Jamborees and there are International Jamborees in England and Scotland. They all welcome international participants, especially contingents from the USA. The cost of taking a contingent of Boy Scouts and/or Venturers to another country can be surprisingly low. For more information on how you can plan an international trip for your troop or crew, Click here.
2019 World Scout Jamboree at the Summit Bechtel Reserve
A World Scout Jamboree is held once every four years. Youth participants are 14 but not yet 18 years old. The next World Scout Jamboree will be held in the United States in 2019. Click here to find out more information.
Other International Scouting Opportunities
- Follow links to Learn about International Scouting
- Correspond with a Scout Pen Pal in another country. Scouts Australia has an International Pen-Pal Program with information on how Scouts from other countries can make contact with Australian Scouts.
- Be part of BSA Contingents to International Events
- Earn BSA badges that relate to International Scouting
- Visit other Council International Committees on the Web