The Michigan Crossroads Council provides Council programs, high adventure camps and other camping experiences to the Scouts and leaders in its service area. These opportunities require Council staff to send deposits to the sponsoring camp, acquire needed supplies and produce mailings to campers and others so the Council sponsored experiences are rewarding and convenient for the Scouts and leaders in our Council.
Fees are usually paid in advance of the event and to ensure the Council can provide the best service to the Scouts the following refund policies will apply. Participants are not considered registered for any event/activity until payment in full has been received.
Weekend Camping – Facility Reservation Fees
Facility reservation fees are final. Refunds may be granted only if a cancellation is brought to a Council employee’s attention. Individuals/Groups that cancel their reservations 30 days or more prior to the arrival date will receive a refund of the total rental fee less a 15% administrative service charge. No refunds will be given for cancellations made less than 30 days prior to the arrival date. Any/all refund requests must be made within 30 days of the reservation date.
Event Registration Fees
Event fees are final except in a limited number of circumstances (see listing below) where a refund may be granted. Refunds may be given only if the following circumstances are brought to a Council employee’s attention. Individuals/Groups that cancel their event registration 30 days or more prior to the event date will receive a refund of the total registration fee less a 15% administrative service charge; full refunds are only given if the Council cancels the event. No refunds will be given for cancellations made less than 30 days prior to the event date. Any/all refund requests must be made within 30 days of the event date.
Cub Scout and Scouts BSA Resident Camp Registration Fees
For Cub Scout and Scouts BSA Summer Resident Camp registrations the cancellation fee is based on 15% of the total event registration fee and not the amount of fees paid at the time of cancellation.
Alternately, Scouts BSA Summer Camp fees may be transferred to another Scout or leader attending. No pro-rated fees will be given to Scouts wishing to attend a partial week at Scouts BSA Summer Camp.
- The registered participant has an illness or physical ailment preventing participation in the event and has a signed statement from a medical doctor or healthcare practitioner. The written order must be provided to the Michigan Crossroads Council, 14258 Michigan Street, PO Box 129, Eagle, MI 48822.
- In the event of the death of an immediate family member (parent, grandparent, brother, sister or anyone else living in the house with the participant). The Council will consider other deaths, which may affect the participant, on a case-by-case basis.
- Only an employee of the Michigan Crossroads Council may authorize a refund for a Council sponsored event.
- Any refund of monies for the event is then based on the total event registration fee at the time of cancellation minus the deposit and any money sent to another agency or company for the event. The remaining money is refundable as long as the participant meets the above requirements. Any money that has been sent to another agency or company is considered issued and not refundable.
- Any event that does not have a deposit, but has an event fee, will be assessed a 15% service charge before any refund is issued. This 15% service charge applies to all non-Council cancellations – including medical, death in the family, family hardship, etc. All remaining money is refundable. Again, the participant must meet the above requirements.
- Processing these refunds for summer camp may not take place until after the camping season due to the review process. Once approved please allow 30 days for the refund to be processed. Any/all refund requests must be made prior to May 31st for Scouts BSA Summer Resident Camp; or must be made within 30 days of the start of the event date for Cub Scout Resident Camp.
Processing these refunds for summer camp may not take place until after the camping season due to the review process. Once approved please allow 30 days for the refund to be processed. Any/all refund requests must be made prior to May 31st for Scouts BSA Summer Resident Camp; or must be made within 30 days of the start of the event date for Cub Scout Resident Camp.
Deposits are not refundable. Any cancellation, once the deposit has been sent to the Council, will be forfeited. Deposits may, however, be transferable to another participant that takes the entire slot for that event.
The Michigan Crossroads Council and all approved event committees have the opportunity to set late fees or discounts for events. Late fees will be announced with the original posting for the event. Late fees paid to the Council are not refundable.
At times the Council maintains a waiting list. If the participant is not selected to attend the event, all waiting list money will be refunded at 100%, including deposit money.
Cancellation by the Council
If the Michigan Crossroads Council or National Boy Scouts of America or any agency that has contracted with the Council cancels an event, the Council will issue a full 100% refund (including any Deposit Money).
Credit Card Payments
Credit Card Payments incur a convince fee charge of 2.8% of the total amount being paid. Convenience Fees are non-refundable under all circumstances, even if reservations are canceled.
These policies only affect the Michigan Crossroads Council, Boy Scouts of America; its committees and districts. This policy is not transferable to charter partners or individual units (Packs, Troops, Teams, Crews and Posts) of the Council.
- A Scout cannot attend an event. Cost of event is $20. The refund would be $20 – $3 (15% service charge) = $17 refund if notification was made at least 30 days prior to event. No refunds made for notifications made less than 30 days prior to the event date, however, the Scouts’ event fee may be transferred to another Scout.
- The Scout’s grandmother dies and thus is unable to attend a Philmont Trip. Philmont price is $750. The refund would be $750 – $100 (deposit) – $400 (Philmont Fee) = $250 refund.
- Florida Sea Base cancels trip due to shark attacks. Total cost of the Trip $1,000. The refund would be $1,000 no matter what. The Council will take the liability for the plane tickets and any other expenses. All money, even deposits, are refunded.