Commissioners are district and council leaders who help Scout units succeed. They coach and consult with adult leaders of Cub Scout packs, Boy Scout troops, and Venturing crews. Commissioners help maintain the standards of the Boy Scouts of America.
Unit commissioners will focus on the following four primary areas:
- Support Unit Growth through Journey to Excellence.
- Link Unit needs to district operating committee resources.
- Renew Charter on time.
Unit Service Mission: “To help units serve more youth better through Scouting.”
Unit Service will enable units to better serve more youth by providing an adequate number of trained commissioners who provide a link to District Operating Committee and other resources in support of a quality unit program.
The mission of Unit Service is to help units better serve more youth through scouting.
- Supporting unit growth and retention through the Journey to Excellence.
- Contacting units and capturing in commissioner tools their strengths, needs, and a unit service plan that enables continuing improvement.
- Linking unit needs to District Operating Committee and other resources.
- Supporting timely unit, district and council charter renewals.
- Supporting unit leaders by delivering effective roundtables that provide program ideas, relationship development, and timely communication.
- Enable an increased number of traditional units.
- Enable the retention rate of traditional units.
- Enable implementation of a unit service plan through collaborative detailed assessments and an increased number of significant unit contacts.
- The UPG Methodology
- New Member Coordinators
- Unit Key 3
- The Unit Service Plan
- Journey to Excellence
- My.Scouting Tools (Including Commissioner Tools)
- Continuous Recruiting
- Assigning Resources to Greatest Needs
NATIONAL COMMISSIONER RESOURCES
- National BSA Commissioners Website
- Journey to Excellence information
- Commissioner Manuals and Resources
- Commissioner Training
- Commissioner Recruitment and Retention
- Awards and Recognition
- Roundtable support
- Commissioner award and recognition
- Internet Charter Renewal
- National Commissioner Newsletter
- National BSA Commissioner Identity Products
LOCAL COMMISSIONER RESOURCES
- MCC Unit Recharter page – An online resource for our Michigan units
- Touchpoints – A monthly guide to Commissioner responsibilities