BALOO (Basic Adult Outdoor Orientation) (Eastpointe)
April 27 @ 8:00 am - April 28 @ 12:00 pm
BALOO (BASIC ADULT LEADER OUTDOOR ORIENTATION)
Pre-registration is required by April 19, 2019. No walk-ins will be accepted!
This two day, overnight training introduces parents and leaders to the skills needed to plan and conduct outdoor Pack activities, particularly camping. Two days of fun and learning prepares Pack leaders to plan and carry out "entry level" outdoor experiences.
Ask a boy why he wants to be a Cub Scout, and nine times out of ten he'll answer "to go camping." Cub Scouting has designed Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO) training, so boys, along with their parents or another adult, can participate in a successful overnight camping experience.
Participants who complete this training course will:
- Understand the focus of the Cub Scout level of the BSA outdoor program.
- Gain the skills needed to plan and carry out a successful Cub Scout-level overnight activity.
- Learn more about the resources available from the BSA for carrying out this activity.
All Packs are required to have at least one BALOO trained adult on every Cub Scout den or pack overnight outdoor event – including Pack Camping and Webelos Den overnighter.
You will need to bring your own personal and sleeping gear. Prepare for any type of weather as you will be outdoors much of the time. A gear list is provided below:
- Small Mess Kit
- Insulated cup and plate or bowl
- Utensils (fork, knife, spoon)
- Sleeping Bag and ground pad
- Warm sleeping clothes including hat
- Tent with ground cloth
- Scout Uniform
- Shoes or hiking boots
- Pocket knife
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Toiletry Kit
- Folding camp chair
- Appropriate clothing for the weather
- Extra-long sleeve shirt
- Shirts, underwear, pants, and socks
- Jacket for the temperature
- Sweater, sweatshirt
- Rain gear
- Long underwear as needed
- Warm gloves/mittens
As of May 2017, BALOO training is now comprised of two components – an online component, and a practical, hands-on component. Both components must be completed to qualify as a "Trained" Cub Scout outdoor leader, and to receive the BALOO recognition patch.
The online component contains introductory and basic information, and must be completed prior to the practical component. The online portion of BALOO is available on the BSA Learning Center by logging into My.Scouting.org. Go to the Course Catalog to add it to your Learning Plan.