Dedicated in September, 2002, the Thomas D. Trainor Scout Museum is the former D-bar-A Scout Ranch administration building. It was provided to the Order of the Arrow’s Migisi Opawgan Lodge 162 to be converted into a 1,100 square foot museum.Constructed in 1950 at a cost of $8,000, it was the first new building at the recently acquired Boy Scout property known as D-bar-A Scout Ranch. It is constructed of cinder blocks and clad with wood paneling. During the OA Lodge remodeling of the building, a small apartment with a kitchen was added for weekend hosts to stay. The apartment also serves as a meeting location for curators to evaluate and log Scout memorabilia donated or loaned to the museum for display. The building today is valued over $90,000 excluding the contents.
Museum Exhibit Focus
- D-bar-A Scout Ranch, Cole Canoe Base, and other Michigan camps and programs
- District memorabilia
- National and world Jamboree events
- National high adventure programs
- Period Scout equipment and uniforms
- The Order of the Arrow – Boy Scouts Honor Society
- Indian regalia
- Former Detroit Area Council and Clinton Valley Council memorabilia
Weekend Hosting, Special Events and Programs
Weekend hosting, special programs or visits can be arranged with advance notice. Please contact Harold Hanna, Museum Curator, at 313-592-4700 (w) or 313- 937-8233 (h).
For guests overnighting at the ranch, when registering your unit be sure to ask the Camp Masters for the museum hours of operation that weekend. Many times the hay rides will start and end at the museum to allow riders an opportunity to visit the facility.
The museum is at the center of the OA lodge’s Lincoln Pilgrimage event held the second Saturday of February. Opening ceremonies are held outside the museum’s front doors with a flag and rededication ceremony at the gazebo containing a statue of our 16th President of the United States – Abraham Lincoln. Click on Lincoln Pilgrimage to learn more why over 300 guests and arrowmen continue to come to the pilgrimage each February since 1953.
Meet Thomas D. Trainor
No career professional in the Boy Scouts of America can receive higher tribute than when volunteers put him on a pedestal and honor him as the “best” and then dedicate a major council facility in his name. This is the honor that Thomas D. Trainor never sought, but has earned.
Tom was an active and dedicated member of the Boy Scouts of America for more than 67 years. Tom’s journey down the Scouting trail began in 1946 as a Cub Scout. He was one of the first Boy Scouts to camp at the newly acquired D-Bar-A Scout Ranch back in the winter of 1950 at the old Treasure Oaks camp. He achieved the rank of Eagle Scout in 1958 as member of Explorer Post 296, Detroit.
Tom’s stellar record of employment began with the Detroit Area Council in 1952 as a camp staff member at D-Bar-A Scout Ranch. He became a full-time council staff member on September 8, 1956.
Tom has given distinguished service to Scouting in numerous roles, starting as a clerk and stock employee and working his way all the way to the #2 executive in the great Detroit Area Council. The National Council, BSA honored Tom with the Distinguished Eagle Scout Award in 2001 for his outstanding service. Usually only Scout Executive/CEO’s are nominated for the Distinguished Eagle; Tom may be the first outside that group to receive this award. This clearly indicates how well known and respected Tom is by fellow professionals and volunteers, not just here, but throughout the national organization. He was a professional’s professional!
Tom’s leadership helped to form one of the nation’s best camping programs and two of America’s best-loved camps, D-Bar-A Scout Ranch and Cole Canoe Base. He has touched over four million youth and adults and he’s still going strong.
After 50 years of outstanding service to youth, Tom retired from the BSA in 2002. Now, as an active volunteer, he is a Great Lakes Field Service Center Vice-President; the Michigan Crossroads Council Properties Chairman; and, a BSA Central Region Board member-at-large.
In recognition of his professional achievements, the Detroit Area Council and the Migisi-Opawgan Lodge, Order of the Arrow dedicated this museum in 2002 in the name of a great Scouter and friend, Thomas D. Trainor.
Museum Board Members
Thomas Trainor – Chairman
Joe Retzbach – Vice Chairman
Harold Hanna – Museum Curator
Kenneth Mills – Assistant Museum Curator
Thomas Trainor – Treasurer and Family Member
Chuck Cheek – Secretary
Jack Sims – D-bar-A Ranger / BSA Adviser
Advisory Committee Members